Elephant Rock Books created a study guide for teachers to use The Art of Holding On and Letting Go in their classroom. Eleven writing activities/exercises, including Comparing the Drafts: Two versions of my first chapter are shared and compared, the chapter I originally submitted and the revised, final published version.
The activities are easily adapted to other books/stories as well. Access the guide here:
Are you a writer working on improving your craft and finding publishing opportunities? The Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators (SCBWI) is a great place to start.
* Thanks to all of the high school students who read and voted for their favorite books in the 2017-2018 Great Lakes Great Books state-wide literature program. The Art of Holding On and Letting Go was chosen as one of the two Honor Books, along with Kathleen Glasgow's Girl in Pieces. The winner was The Serpent King by Jeff Zentner. Go here, to see all of the winners and honor books in each grade category, and the 2018-2019 nominees.
* Thank you to Michigan independent bookstores for continuing to support my book. It made the 2017 Michigan best seller list!
* Thank you, Oakland Press+Daily Tribune, for featuring me in the Community News.
* The Art of Holding On and Letting Go was selected by the Michigan Reading Association for the Great Lakes Great Books 2017-2018 state-wide literature program. I'm honored to be on this list with so many of the authors I admire.
* My book is a young adult finalist for the Booksellers' Best Award judged by librarians and booksellers and sponsored by the Greater Detroit Chapter of RWA.
* I'm a 2017 #PitchWars mentor! Learn more at Brenda Drake's website.
* The audiobook is here! Thank you, Audible!
*Thanks to Michigan independent bookstores for embracing my book and helping it become a 2016 bestseller!
* Thank you Ron Riekki for compiling this list of Michigan bestsellers for the Morning Sun. I'm honored!
* Thank you Sarah Gross for including my novel in your Nerdy Book Club post to encourage students to get outside and immersed in nature.
* Thank you Rachel Moulden for interviewing me in the Oakland Press.
* Thank you Alissa Wild and Heidi Barr and the We Are Wildness community for supporting my book. The perfect backdrop!
* Thank you Bustle for featuring my book twice! https://www.bustle.com/articles/179759-this-ya-novel-taught-me-7-important-lessons-about-being-an-adult